The sudden demise of Alan Rickman, the Professor Snape of Hogwarts School, left Harry Potter fans across the world feeling saddened and at loss. For those of us who have grown up on a staple diet of Harry Potter books and films, exactly the same age as the films’ Harry, he was as much a starred entity in our lives as to Harry himself.
Having studied (read “survived” 😉 🙂 😀 ) five and a half years in a premier Med school (which, in itself, is no less than wizardry), I have had a more than fair share of my own Snapes (though they didn’t turn out the hidden heroes they were supposed to be, in the end. Anyways). Still, the film’s Snape always made me feel lighter and brighter, keeping my perspective broad about such difficult people. I never even knew his real name; or that he was the Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood films, or the numerous characters he played in other films. But he held an undiscountable place in the making of the person I am today, as the one and only Professor Severus Snape. May his Soul Rest In Peace.
Some of the life lessons that his famous quotes taught us –
1. Yes, handle it as it is. Go out and kick at the darkness until it bleeds light.
2. Never let bad spirits control your mind. The mind is the angel, as well as the demon.
3. In another words (of Sir Winston Churchill), “A true gentleman does what he ought to morally, whatever be the consequences; and that is the basis of all human morality.”
4. “I am what I am, whether anybody likes it or not. Period.”
Be yourself, love yourself. You don’t need anybody’s certificate to know your worth.
5. Have more than you show, speak less than you know.
6. Be like a duck in your quests – calm on the surface, but pedalling out vigorously beneath towards your goals.
7. I put this one in my different way.
No matter how down you may feel, get up, dress up, show up, fight like a man and make it a day that people will remember.
Once again, RIP Alan Rickman.