In the last article, we saw some interesting scientific facts about alcohol and its effects on health. We had also seen some quick tips for not getting drunk even after drinking alcohol. Today we see the second part, a simple home remedy DIY smoothie for relieving alcoholism and hangover symptoms.
Name – Kharjuradi Manth (literally translated, the “Date etc. Smoothie”)
- Black Dates 1 part
- Sour semi ripe Pomegranate 1 part
- Black Currants 1 part
- Tamarind 1 part
- Amla (Indian Gooseberry) 1 part
- Changeri (Indian Sorrel) leaves 1 part
- Falsa berries 1 part
- Drinking water (4x) 28 parts
Our non-Indian readers may find it difficult to avail some of these ingredients. So the following substitutes may be used, though not to the fullest efficacy –
- Amla –> Oranges, twice the quantity
- Changeri –> Spinach, twice the quantity
- Falsa Fruit –> Cranberry or Blueberry, same quantity
Sieve, Stainless steel/glass pot with lid and stirrer/spoon.
- Blend all the ingredient in a blender to make a fine paste.
- Mix the paste well in the water and let stand covered in a stainless steel or glass for half an hour. (Stainless steel or glass specifically, because the drink is highly reactive against brass, copper, aluminium etc.)
- Now uncover, stir well, sieve off and your smoothie is ready to serve.
Taken 80ml (half cup) every 4 hours to relieve alcoholism and hangover symptoms. Healthy people too, can take it once or twice a day in the same serving size.
Serving Notes –
This tangy sour-sweet smoothie may not be as thick as you may expect one to be, but remember, it is a medicine in addition to being a food. So consistency and taste have a bit of a backseat in this recipe. Sugar may be added to taste if wanted. Also goes without saying that it shouldn’t be overdosed too much.
How It Works –
- Black dates provide Iron, vitamins from B-complex and calcium to correct the anemia caused by alcoholism. It is also rich in other essential minerals.
- Pomegranate contains the antioxidant punicalgin that works as a geriatric tonic against the ageing processes that get accelerated due to alcohol. It is also a rich source of iron and minerals.
- Black currants are a rich source of Vitamin C, Vitamin A and antioxidants that repair cellular damage.
- Tamarind helps the iron from the dates get absorbed better in the blood.
- Amla is the richest source of Vitamin C, the ultimate antioxidant.
- Changeri contains a number of bioactive compounds reducing inflammation and regulating metabolism at multiple levels to improve digestion and circulation.
- Falsa Berries are a rich source of antioxidants and vitamins that pacify thirst and inflammation caused by alcohol. It also works great for autoimmune inflammation, providing relief in headaches and boneaches of hangover.
So that’s your weekly dose of Ayurveda goodness for this weekend. Stay tuned to read new articles every week by following this blog through WordPress or email. Also, please like and share the articles you find helpful. We need all your love 🙂
Check out our other Home remedy Recipe articles –
Check out our other articles related to food and nutrition –
Stay Healthy, Stay Happy!
About the Author –
Dr. Harshad Rajandekar is practising physician based out of Nasik, Maharashtra. He can be reached here for feedback/inquiries.